Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Poetry Critique



Fairytale - Sara Bareilles

Cinderella’s on her bedroom floor
She’s got a crush on the guy at the liquor store
Cause Mr. Charming don’t come home anymore and she forgets why she came here.

Sleeping Beauty’s in a foul mood for shame she says
None for you dear prince, I’m tired today.
I’d rather sleep my whole life away than have you keep me from dreaming

I don’t care for your fairytale
You’re so worried 'bout the maiden, though you know she’s only waiting on the next best thing Snow White is doing dishes again cause what else can you do
With seven itty bitty men?
Sends them to bed and she calls up a friend, says will you meet me at midnight.


The tall blonde lets out a cry of despair says
Would have cut it myself if I knew men could climb hair I’ll have to find another tower somewhere and keep away from the windows.

I don’t care for your fairytale
You’re so worried 'bout the maiden, though you know she’s only waiting on the next best thing Once upon a time in a faraway kingdom, man made up a story
Said that I should believe him
Go and tell your white knight that he’s handsome in hindsight but
I don’t want the next best thing
So I sing and hold my head down and I break these walls 'round me
Can’t take no more of your fairytale love


I don’t care for your fairytale
You’re so worried bout the maiden, though you know she’s used to waiting spent her whole life being graded on the sanctity of patience and a dumb appreciation
The story needs some mending and a better happy ending ‘cause
I don’t want the next best thing no no
I don’t want the next best thing.


Explain briefly why you selected this poem. What about it do you find interesting?
I chose this poem because I think that Sara Bareilles has a great way of getting her feelings across through the music she writes. This is one of my favorite songs by her, and I think she is portraying a really strong and kind of cute message by using popular fairytale princesses. It's a very unique and different way of expressing emotion.

Comment on its title. How does the title fit the work?
The title "Fairytale" fits the work perfectly because the entire piece is about a "fairy tale love" that is expressed through different fairytale princesses throughout.

Comment on the author's use of poetic devices.
She really uses imagery, by describing each character and at least for me when I read this poem or hear the song I can picture the different characters in my head and picture what they're doing. For example "Cinderella's laying on her bedroom floor"...I can see in my mind Cinderella laying down thinking about something. I don't know it sounds weird, but it's totally true! She didn't really use any other poetic devices because she uses so much imagery throughout the entire poem/song.

Explain the tone of the piece. What is the tone?
She basically wrote a story through a song. I think that the way she described all of the characters and their somewhat personalities really expressed what she was trying to portray. I also really enjoy how she takes these fairy tale loves and proves that there really isn't such thing as a perfect love. By using these characters she gives the song a totally different feeling and makes it very thought provoking. The actual tone is very light and somewhat amusing but at the same time with a very serious feeling throughout it.

No comments: