Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Characteristics Of A Well Told Story

We all have heard and read stories.
It is one of the first things many parents do with their kids.

Part 1: I think that parents tell us stories when we are children because it allows us to grow our own individual imagination and sometimes teaches us good life lessons in easy to understand ways. Stories are important in childhood because they get our mind moving and let us gain new knowledge. Typically when I think of a childhood story, I think of a story that has a really lame way of showing how to do things like share, be nice, make friends with everybody, and so on. Things that we learn as children and that our parents try to demonstrate for us so we can grow up respectable adults.

Part 2: I believe that older people read stories, especially during the educational years, because like childhood, it teaches us things. In my experiences in High School, I've read some books that definatly had an impact on the way in which I look at things. For example, the most moving and well written book I've read for a class reading was the book "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien. This book I found was full of important life lessons that I can still carry with me today.

Part 3: I kind of find that reading stories and especially popular ones listed in the New York Times can bring people together. By reading the same story as a nation, there's many ways for people to discuss their own individual view on the novel with someone who may have a totally different idea. Although reading a book is such a small and enjoyable task, people can really become a little bit closer through discussion of different issues.

Part 4: One of my favorite childhood books was "I'll Love You Forever". I remember my mom used to read this story to me before I went to bed, and everytime she did I could imagine the mom in the story as my mom. It was a book that I think taught me at a young age how much family really loves you, and how no matter what they will be there for you. Also, I remember my grandpa from Holland always had the best stories to tell. He would tell me about when he was a magician or the times he had in the war. And then he would also have the stories to tell that you knew he made up, but didn't care because they were that intriguing. My grandpa's stories will always be something that I remember, he was a great story teller, and I hope that when I'm older and have grandkids of my own I can do the same for them.

Part 5: My list of good story characteristics:
1. A strong title that will make the reader want to start reading
2. A powerful opening that draws the reader in, maybe a small story or exciting event
3. Characters that can somewhat relate to most readers, or someone totally different
4. The storyline should be clear and make sense throughout the book
5. The climax should be very clear and fit in well with the rest of the story
6. The characters should be easy to remember
7. The ending should be intense and fit in well with the story, happy or sad it needs to have a lot of emotion tied into it

No comments: