Monday, February 25, 2008

Toward the Future/From the Past

1. I really have had some fun writing my play. I like the fact that it could be about anything I wanted it to be about and I could be really creative. However, I've found that writing in play format isn't as easy as it seems. I really had to try and imagine the whole play in my head while I was writing it. Every move I wanted a character to make, or any emotion I wanted portrayed I had to write in the scene directions to make sure that it would happen. The easiest part of this play making experience was definatly coming up with an idea and deciding what would happen throughout the play. I thought of a story line first, and I knew that I wanted it to be fiction and I wanted it to be somewhat romantic. I thought that having a conflict of a girl finding love to break a curse would be kind of cute and fun. The theme in which i decided to use was "true beauty is on the inside", the basis of my play is about a girl who was cursed with fish lips, and the only way that she could break the curse was to find someone to love her. I thought that this could portray beauty on the inside because a lot of people think that people don't judge on looks. When in reality, the media portrays how people should look and what will make people like you, which is total crap. I believe that the play I wrote is one with a happy ending and a good lesson to learn.

2. The advice I would give to a 10 year old kid would be to work really hard freshman year, through senior year of highschool. Because lets face it, the other years before it doesn't really matter what kind of grades you get. Although it's always good to get good grades, I think that the only years that grades matter are 9-12. If you don't work hard and do the best you can all of highschool, it can really mess you up when you are trying to get in a college that you really want to go to. I haven't had this personally happen to me, but I know a lot of people that haven't been able to get in the college they want to go to because of their grades in like 9th and 10th grade. So if I could give a kid any advice I would say to get good grades all through highschool to make sure you have a really good chance of getting into the college that you want to! :)

3. In my opinion great works of literature stay popular for a long time because the author makes a story that has an impact on people. For example, I found that the book "The Things They Carried" was the best book I have ever read. "The Things They Carried" is used a lot in classrooms for classroom reading and is a modern classic. I think that this book for example, has been recongnized as a great piece of literature because of the lessons taught throughout it, and the style of writing the author uses. The entire story flows well together and each part of the book ties to another part which causes the reader to want to continue reading. I feel that pieces of literature that get recognized as great pieces and last a long time have to have a good story line, good writing style, and themes that the reader can react to.

1 comment:

hayley said...

If you didn't do well in middle school, how are you expected to do well in highschool, eh? Study habits and homework skills are developed through the work you do in middle school yo!