Friday, February 1, 2008

Questions from Mr. Miles blog

1. Reading is breathing in; writing is breathing out.

I think that if you want to be a writer, being a reader is especially significant in your success. When reading other writer's works it's really nice to be able to somewhat critique what you like and what you dislike from their works. I believe that this allows individuals to gain their own style of writing and maybe gain some influence from other writers different from themselves. For me, I personally enjoy reading a good book. However, if the book sucks then I obviously won't read it. Figuring out what books I like and dislike really comes from the way in which the book is written.

I feel like I could get into any topic that a book is about to learn more about something new, but if the book or article or whatever it may be is written poorly or can't capture my intrest at all, then I won't even really take the time to try and let it. I just think that when people read, they read to enjoy something. When it comes to writing you are writing for yourself, but you are also writing for the people that will read it. If you don't write thinking about the reader and their intrest in the piece of work, then in my personal opinion you won't be that successful in getting many people to read it. And yes, people have different tastes and intrests so different writing may be interesting to someone, but not to someone else but all in all, you have to read and explore different areas in order to write.

2. Hmm, something in the world that concerns me. I don't really pay attention to things like politics or anything related to the government really because I just find it really really boring. But something in America that concerns me at the moment is how much attention we pay to celebrities and what they're doing. An example right now would be Britney Spears. I mean yeah, she's really messed up and has a lot of problems going on in her life right now, but lets be honest, do we really care about what grocery store she went shopping at, or how she didn't wear shoes outside, or even how she is wanting to have more children? Nope, I don't. I think that part of the reason she has become so messed up over the past year is because she has the public eye watching everything she does and it doesn't allow her to figure out that she really needs some help. Only recently has she figured out that she has bipolar disorder and started seeking help for it, but lets be honest it's been an entire year and it took her this long. I think we should just back off and care about more important things that are going on.


3. A piece of art that has intrested me was the movie "Factory Girl". It's a movie about the life of Edie Sedgwick and how she came to fame from Andy Warhol. She was the "it girl" of the sixties and was known for her underground movies. The movies she made really had no point and it was usually just her being interviewed. However she had a large impact in fashion and trends in the world when she was alive. Andy Warhol hired her to be his actress but never payed her for the movies she made. She found herself getting addicted to drugs and alcohol after a couple years of fame, and she lost almost everything due to the fact that Andy had never given her any money. She died at the age of 28 due to drugs and alcohol. This movie just got me really interested in the sixties and everything that was going on, and Edie Sedgwick and her life. It was just a really well made movie and I never got bored watching it.

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

Dear Judith,
I happen to care a lot about Britney, and I enjoy knowing what grocery store she shops at. I like to be aware of where she is and who's head she is shaving at all times.
Caitlin

hayley said...

hahaha, i didn't even read the post yet, but that comment was compelling.