Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Themes

1. I personally think that having a theme for what you're writing is very important. If a piece of work doesn't have a theme, then it doesn't really have anything special to offer. With themes you are able to express a message without really saying it. In my opinion themes are the most valuable when you have to figure them out through the writing and characters. In response to my views, someone who may not think themes are important might not have ever read something where the theme was really prevalent to the entire writing as a whole. Or, someone who doesn't find a theme to be important may not think that learning something or figuring out something new through reading is very important. I think that many people think about themes in a lot of different ways, but in my own opinion it's one of the most important parts of writing because I think reading something that you can take away from is more memorable then reading writing that doesn't have anything to offer.

2. I think that a theme I want to put across in my play is the idea of don't take things for granted. I feel like a lot of people in today's society, and myself included tend to not realize how lucky we are in life. I didn't truly realize this problem until recently when I went on a trip to Chicago for a mission trip with Christ Presbyterian Church. Meeting all of the people I did while I was down there I realized that there is so much more to life then any of us think, and really we're so lucky to have something as simple as a glass of water whenever we want. The homeless and disabled people I met didn't have education, and didn't have a family to turn to, or anything to help them get through life. In my play, I feel as though expressing the theme of not taking things for granted will be a powerful and good one to put across to people. Because in reality, you don't really realize things until you are faced with them first hand.

3. I think that a conflict I might have in my play is the conflict of person vs. self or person vs. person. I'm not really sure what I'd do but I'm thinking that a conflict between either family members or friends which is then resolved after realizing how important one person is to another could be a good conflict to explore. Or, having a person who is struggling to get by with life and trying to figure out who they are and what they want in life, is a good conflict to explore because I feel like there is a lot of people who struggle with figuring out what they want to do with the rest of their life whether it's what college to go to, or what profession they want to pursue, it's a conflict that people struggle with everyday and something most can relate to.

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

I think that "taking things for granted" would be an excellent theme to write in to a play, because everyone does it, and nobody knows it.

Meaghan said...

Jud!!! I love your idea for the play it sounds like it would make a great play. Looking back on what you said i can't believe how much stuff I take granted. I feel like I need to give back way more than what I have been doing. I also think that mission trips are a great eye opener.